Leyton Grange (Leyton east London) is the second most deprived area of London Borough of Waltham Forest It include an estate that consists of a 10-storey tower and ten 4-storey courts owned by Forest Homes (see list below).
Leyton Grange is sited in an area of Waltham Forest that overlooks the marshes of the River Lea, east of the city of London. The Grange was the ancient manor house of Leyton, the name signifying that it was once owned by Stratford Abbey; the first record of it by that name is in 1470. The house was rebuilt in 1720 in the Palladian style to the design of its owner, David Gansel. Leyton Grange was the seat of a branch of the Lane family from 1784 until 1861, when they sold it to the British Land Company who broke it up for development. From approximately 1824 until 1843 the Lanes leased the Grange to William Rhodes, grandfather of Cecil Rhodes.
It now contains a housing estate complex, comprising one 10-storey block and ten 4-storey courts.
- Slade Tower
- Sorenson Court
- Hammond Court
- Hinton Court
- Fitzgerald Court
- Eton Manor Court
- Clewer Court
- Cochrane Court
- Allanson Court
- Underwood Court.
- Chapman, David Ian (2007). The Great Houses of Leyton and Leytonstone: The Grange. Leyton & Leytonstone Historical Society.
|This London location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|